Dr. Alex Fenton is a highly experienced, award winning digital media academic, web and digital developer, trainer and project manager working successfully in both public and private sectors since 1997. Alex is currently Lecturer in Digital Business for Salford Business School and completed his PhD in digital marketing in 2018. He has published a wide range of articles including world leading academic journals, succeeded in bidding for internal and external research funding including KTP and primary investigator for the Nesta Healthier Lives Data Fund and he is a very experienced academic and postgraduate supervisor including PhD supervisions. Full CV can be downloaded here.
Alex is currently a lecturer in Digital Business at Salford University Business School since 2014. He teaches and develops digital media including web development and search and social media. He is PhD and Masters dissertation supervisor and has held a range of leadership roles including Associate Development Lead for an Industry Collaboration Zone.
He has run his own web company at Salford University – EDinteractive.co.uk since 2003 and has undertaken successful projects with The British Council, the NHS, GVA Grimley, Bolton University, Lancaster University and Salford University. Before then Alex was chosen to work for a company called Video Arts as a Senior Media Developer developing e-learning multimedia packages for The Police, DEFRA, BT, The Woolwich Bank and many others. Alex’s first graduate job was as one of the Salford University’s first full time web and digital developers working for the Virtual Chamber project getting Manchester and Salford Online in 1997.
Alex holds a wide range of individual and team teaching and digital industry awards and external funding.
- Nesta – Healthier Lives Data Fund (£30K) (2019)
- Big Chip Awards – Tech for Good (2018)
- HEIF Knowledge Exchange – HydroX (2017)
- 3X Winner of Vice Chancellors Distinguished Teaching Awards (2015, 2016, 2018)
- Outstanding student support, Deans Awards (2017)
- Finalist for Times Higher Awards – Outstanding Entrepreneurship (2017)
- Awarded Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) (2017)
- Postgraduate Supervisor of the Year (2015)
- Big Chip Digital Industry Awards (2015, 2016)
- Innovative Lecturer of the Year, SU Awards (2016)
- European Search Awards Winner (2014)
- PhD in Digital Marketing at the University of Salford (2018)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practise teaching qualification (2017)
- Masters with Distinction in Creative Technology – Salford University (2011)
- BSc Hons Electronic Imaging and Media Communications – Bradford University (1997)
A skilled qualitative and digital researcher to PhD level and beyond. A daily user of the Adobe Creative suite, Alex has been developing robust, dynamic web applications in PHP / MySQL and ASP / ASP.net for over a decade. Alex is a solid designer and a highly experienced programmer, developer and digital marketer who has great experience creating video, animation, graphics and weaving these together. Alex teaches and runs a very popular search and social media marketing CPD course at MediaCityUK and practises what he preaches running EDinteractive.
Alex enjoys Photography, Socialising, Campervanning, Festivals, growing apples and travel writing. He writes regular travel articles for a popular VW Magazine.
For more information and recommendations, please see LinkedIn