- Fenton, A., Ahmed, W., Hardey, M., Boardman, R., & Kavanagh, E. (2023 – forthcoming). Women’s football subculture of misogyny: The escalation to online gender-based violence. European Sport Management Quarterly. Taylor & Francis. (ABS 3*)
- Ahmed, W., Önkal, D., Das, R., Krishnan, S., Olan, F., Hardey, M., & Fenton, A. (2023). “Developing Techniques to Support Technological Solutions to Disinformation by Analyzing Four Conspiracy Networks During COVID-19“. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, doi: 10.1109/TEM.2023.3273191. (ABS 3*)
- Enlightened Participation: SME Perspectives about Net Zero on Social Media using the Action Case Approach (2023) . IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review . (ABS2*)
- Fenton, A, McLean,R, Quan-Haas, A,Procter, C (2023) – Social media, S-Commerce and social capital: A netnography of football fans and organizations – International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation
- Fenton A, Cooper-Ryan AM, Hardey M & Ahmed W (2022). Football Fandom as a Platform for Digital Health Promotion and Behaviour Change: A Mobile App Case Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19 (14) (Open Access, IF 4.614)
- Ahmed, W., Fenton, A., Hardey, M., & Das, R. (2022). Binge Watching and the Role of Social Media Virality towards promoting Netflix’s Squid Game. IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review (ABS2*)
- Fenton, A, Parry, K, Chadwick, S, Ahmed, W. (2023) – Understanding SMEs and entrepreneurship using netnography and social network analysis – International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation
- Fenton, A, Gilhooly, L, Vasilica, C, M (2021). Female Fans and Social Media, European Sport Management Quarterly (ABS3*)
- Crawford, G , Fenton, A , Chadwick, S and Lawrence, S. (2021). ‘‘All avatars aren’t we’: football and the experience of football-themed digital content during a global pandemic’ , (3*). International Review for the Sociology of Sport
- Allen, E, Fenton, A, Parry, K (2021). Computerised gymnastics judging scoring system implementation – an exploration of stakeholders’ perceptions. Science of Gymnastics Journal.
- Chadwick, S, Fenton, A , Dron, RM and Ahmed, W. (2021),‘Social media conversations about high engagement sports team brands’ , IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review . (ABS2*)
- Fenton, A, Keegan, B, Parry, K (2021) – Understanding sporting social media brand communities, place and social capital – a netnography of football fans – Communication and Sport
- Hasan, N., Bao, Y., Miah, SJ.,& Fenton, A., (2021), Factors Influencing the Young Physicians’ Intention to Use of Internet of Things (IoT) Services in the Healthcare, Information Development.
- Ryan, WG, Fenton, A , Ahmed, W and Scarf, PA 2019, ‘Recognizing Events 4.0 : the digital maturity of events’ , International Journal of Event and Festival Management (ABS1*)
- Anagnostopoulos, C, Parganas, P, Fenton, A and Chadwick, SM 2018, ‘Branding in pictures : using Instagram as a brand management tool in professional team sport organisations’ , European Sport Management Quarterly (ABS 3*)
- Fenton, A and Procter, CT 2018, ‘Studying social media communities : blending methods with netnography‘ , SAGE Research Methods Cases
- Heinze, A, Griffiths, M, Fenton, A and Fletcher, G 2018, ‘Knowledge exchange partnership leads to digital transformation at Hydro-X Water Treatment, Ltd’ , Global Business and Organizational Excellence, 37 (4) , pp. 6-13.
|Fenton, A 2018, The field behind the screen : social capital and the social media communications of a football club brand , PhD thesis, University of Salford.|
Press and policy
I am a regular contributor to the local and national press including:
- BBC Sport, 2021 – Ronaldo, Social Media and the transfer window (TV Appearance)
- UK Parliament accepted evidence from #FanFit project – National Plan for Sport and Recreation Committee’s inquiry
- Can Virtual Reality Help Sports Fans Experience Game Day In A Post COVID-19 World? – CBS Local, 2020
- Coronavirus and long term lockdown – How HR need to be proactive and not panic, HR News, 2020
- How to Learn Online – Innovate my School, 2020
- Rip Off Britain – Online Reviews – BBC 1, 2019
- Social media Tax – would it work? – University of Salford, 2018
- Salford outranks London as UK’s top city for startup growth – Manchester Evening News, 2017
- How giant digital adverts could soon be in our cities – BBC, 2017
- Football fitness app could see fans competing against their idols – Manchester Evening News, 2016
- Our appetite for apps doesn’t make them a must for businesses – Guardian, 2016
- The powerhouse of the North – The Independent, 2015
Books and chapters
Conferences and keynotes
|Fenton, A et al. 2020. Case of Joe Wicks and Social Network Analysis, British Academy of Management webinar
Fenton, A, Smith, M, 2019, Netnography and Social Network Analysis workshop, Social Media and Society Conference, Toronto, Canada
Fenton, A, 2018, Digital Sport and Fan Engagement (Keynote), Coppead Business School, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Fenton, A 2015, Social capital, brand and football : tales from the digital field – extended abstract for : UKAIS & British Academy of Management E-business and E-government SIG , in: UKAIS & British Academy of Management E-business and E-government SIG, 03/12/15 – 04/12/15, Newcastle University.
|Fenton, A 2015, Digital media, football fans and communications : a case study of Salford City FC, a ‘digital football club’ , in: Academy of Marketing Conference 2015, 7-9 July 2015, University of Limerick Ireland.|
|Fenton, AM 2011, Beyond the closed e-portfolio: Designing for the digital curation of professional identities for lifelong learning , in: Education in a Changing Environment (ECE) 6th International Conference : Creativity and Engagement in Higher Education, 6 – 8 July 2011, The University of Salford, Greater Manchester, UK.|
- February 27, 2020 – Tyson Fury defeated Deontay Wilder in the social media fight as well as in the ring
- September 11, 2018 – ‘Hyperdigitalised’ sports fans are connecting with their heroes like never before
- Super Bowl: how bots, brands and the alt-right highjacked the event on social media, Simon Chadwick, and Alex Fenton, University of Salford. Bots, brand jackers, big shots, as well as traditional businesses all bossed the Super Bowl social media space.
Can social media and a high profile clash with Manchester United help disgruntled Blackburn Rovers fans lodge a protest that will resonate in India where the club’s unpopular owners reside?
- Calarasu, E.-M., Fenton, A., McMullan, C., Miah, A., 2018. Virtual Reality and Sports Fans. University of Salford and DigitalSport.co
- Fenton, A., Freitas, F., Guimarães, G., Gamorim, J., 2018. ESports and Fan Engagement : Brazil vs England. University of Salford and COPPEAD Graduate School Brazil
- Fenton, A., Kreps, D., 2017. Fitness Apps : For the fit and the unfit. University of Salford